Monday, October 09, 2006

Fred Poe's Arrival in Sydney

Sydney monday morning Oct 9

I have arrived Sydney on very peaceful flights. Does First Class ever make sense. Uneventul flight LIT-DFW...but high drama from DFW to LAX...a passenger in coach (I never saw him) had some kind of violent health attack and we were forced to land in lovely El Paso...the medics came running and we sat for a long time...the patient was taken off through a cargo door and the word is that he died...pretty macabre eh?

The Westin at LAX was nicely salubrious (good beds if you like soft and cushy)....then Qantas on Saturday which is Sunday here of course: one checks in in a rather soignee first class area (there are only 14 seats), the agent then walks with bags to the bag drop and one then is shown to the First class security clearance hidden up an escalator...to a lovely lounge.....I am feeling like I have my money's worth.

Upon boarding, I find my super super seat...it artfully turns into a full sized bed for heavens sake....full sized....and pajamas are distributed.....the meal service (the flight left at 1:00 PM) is not that truly gala....rather old shoe I thought...but entirely appropriate and the staff on board (3 for the 14 of us...plane full in all three classes) terrific...little hot canapes, a delicious leek and artichoke soup, a crusted filet mignon, an outstanding cheese course of Australian cheeses...very pretty Viennese-type desserts....and a serious wine list of ONLY Australian wines save for the Bollinger vintage champagne...terrific romps all over Australia with the wines....then a long SLEEP....they have like 90 movies to choose from...I don't like movies on airplanes...but did watch Sophie Scholl about the White Rose victims of the Nazis in Munich...then a supper prior to landing here.

It all didn't seem like 141/2 hours or whatever...man a full bed sure helps alot!....Kingford Smith Airport hasn't changed since Tony and I were here 20 years ago: 300+ people get off the plane and the terminal feels sort of like it should be in Des Moines...slow slow slow but everyone hearty and affable....it is sprinkling, about 50 and San Francisco-feeling, terrific.

Mercure Airport hotel could also be in Des Moines except everyone on the TV channels sound like they have marbles in their mouths. I am feeling terrific....If I had flown coach I think I would be the next evacuated corpse from an airline.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home